Add some colour to your week with this fresh beetroot celebrating risotto and bring the zing with fresh fruits and citrus.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 medium (300g) beetroots
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) brown short grain rice
- 4 cups (800ml) vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 small Granny smith apples cut into wedges
- sea salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, dry roasted & crushed
- zest & juice of half a lemon
- 1 bunch rocket leaves
- 1 cup (250ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup (50ml) apple juice concentrate
- Boil scrubbed beetroot in skin until tender and reserve liquid.
- Peel and dice beetroot and purée half of it with some of the liquid.
- Cut apples into wedges and bake on tray at 180°C for 5 minutes, put aside.
- eat vegetable stock in a pot. In a separate pan, sweat onions and rice with oil until glossy.
- Add caraway seeds and the hot vegetable stock gradually, cooking slowly until rice is done.
- Add diced beetroot at the last minute to keep colour. For the glaze, reduce vinegar and apple juice concentrate over low heat to syrup.
- Arrange risotto on rocket leaves, top with apples and drizzle with the glaze.