SPRITZ CHRISTMAS COOKIES
Spritz cookies are a close relative to shortbread, but contain eggs to help hold their shape. Less crumbly than shortbread but still buttery, they are small and sweet depending on your topping tactics!
Ingredients (Makes 24 Cookies)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ¼ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Assorted sprinkles or sanding sugar
Try these variations based on your tastes
- Citrus Spritz Cookies: Don’t add the almond extract and instead add 1 tsp of lemon zest and 1 tsp of orange zest to the flour.
- Spiced Spritz Cookies: Add 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger and 1/4 tsp nutmeg to the flour.
- Preheat to 375 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla and almond extracts, beating until blended.
- Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl; add to butter mixture gradually, beating on low speed until blended.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Press the dough into desired shapes, using a cookie press
- Place the cookies 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets before decorating.
- Bake until lightly browned around edges (10 minutes) and let cool for 20 minutes before eating.
You can prepare these cookies a couple of days earlier, and they’ll keep well in an airtight container.
Nutrition Per Serving (3 Cookies)
Vitamin A iu
Image and recipe sourced from eatingwell.com